Ikorodu is a community of people with prestigious social life and a breeding ground for intellectuals, academicians and technocrats who are serving in their optimum capacity in governance, commerce, education, industry and all endeavours of life.
On Sunday, 2nd of July, 2017, the town witnessed an election of Ikorodu Oga Development Association (IKODASS) at the prestigious Ikorodu Town Hall. While the accreditation process was ongoing, Mr. S.O.K. Owosile gave the opening prayer and immediately after this, Alhaji Folorunsho led the guests in the association's anthem.
The IKODASS Electoral Committee comprises of Hon. Kazeem Showemimo, (Chairman) Mr. Orimogunje Seun, (Secretary) Mrs. Oluwatoyin Aroyewun, (Director of finance) and Dr. Abiodun Fatai Abatan (one of the observers).
In no time, Hon Kazeem Showemimo outlined the modalities for the election process in the presence of all and subsequently, the proper acknowledgement and introduction of the out going IKODASS Excos was done by him.
This of course ushered in all the contestants to mount the podium one after the other to present their manifestos and to canvass for votes from the delegates.
Amazingly, Alhaji Olowosago and the outgoing first Vice Chairman of IKODASS, Otunba Gbadamosi Afolabi voluntarily stepped down for the former Clerk, Lagos State House of Assembly, Alhaji Ganiu Olusegun Abiru who was equally vying for the chairmanship position.
Shortly after the voluntary step down of the duo, Mr. Ganiu Olusegun Abiru was massively applauded with a majestic ovation to indicate that he is up to the task.
In his manifesto, he promised to ensure productive dialogue with all the Clubs, amendment of the defects in the Association's Constitution. He also promised to engage professionals in running the affairs of IKODASS to enhance rapid growth and development of Ikorodu Division.
Furthermore, he promised to bring back the good old days of Ikorodu Oga Day Celebration which is similar to Ojude Oba Day celebration in Ijebu Ode . 'The people in diaspora will equally be engaged,' he said.
IKODASS website will be upgraded to contain the objectives of the association, while promising to promote the town's cultural heritage which has been a symbol of pride and unification for Ikorodu people. Alhaji Ganiu Abiru also assured everyone that all the market women shall be mobilized, while promising an all inclusive administration of reliability, purposefulness and dedicated team of progressives.
He thereafter proposed a 3 year single term for any elected officer for efficient service delivery for the betterment of Ikorodu Oga.
However, after an eloquent submission by Alhaji Ganiu Abiru, the electoral body commenced the election process of the various positions of the Executive in no time. The below listed names were the Executive returned unopposed except for the Social Secretary which went through voting.
1. Alhaji Ganiu Olusegun Abiru. Chairman
2. Mr Kolawole Fatai Olayiwola. Deputy Chairman
3. Mrs Akinsanya Basirat Iyalode. Vice Chairman
4. Mr Pelaye Jamiu Okanlawon. Secretary General
5. Mr Azeez Wasiu Olasunkanmi. Asst. Sec. General
6. Mr Afuwape Samson Bayo. Treasurer
7. Benson Omotayo Omotunde. Fin. Secretary
8. Princess Folashade Olabanji-Oba. P.R.O.
9. Adenuga Sesan Adeyeri Jamiu. Welfare Officer
10. Mr Arulogun Oriyomi Samsondeen. Legal Officer
11. Mr Oseni Ishau Adesanya. Auditor
12. Mr Rufai Oluseyi. Executive Officer
13. Adeyeri Remilekun. Executive Officer
14. Olushola Shopitan. Executive Officer
15. Oshinowo Folusho. Executive Officer
16. Adekoya Ismail Abiodun. Rep.
17. Mr Odugbesi Ajibade. Asst Social Secretary
18. Mr Bisiriyu Isiaq Abiodun. Social Secretary, won by 58 to 28 votes.
The present Executive will serve for the next two years.
The Publisher, Igbogbo/Baiyeku Info Magazine
The genuine VOICE of Ikorodu Division